Monday, February 13, 2017

Tasting our way through Athens

As mentioned, we took a food tour of Athens. It is always fun to try different types of tours in new places as they take you off the regular tourist route. While we stayed in the core of the city, we hit up some streets that we wouldn't have likely gone down otherwise. Introducing us to places that are more old school.



Our tour guide was lovely and apparently there is now a number of photos of us online somewhere but don't worry, we took some too :)

Our tour guide in action

I think all European countries have their fav cured meats which I support 100% - so tasty! We got a long explanation of how the best known meat products are made but let's be real, I don't remember! I do remember it was wrapped in something and took a long time to prepare.



Apparently wine in plastic containers in Greece is worth drinking - not something I am used to but we gave it try! We also were introduced to honey wine which is something I had never had - it was a little too sweet for my liking but to each his own.



Olives, olives and more olives - some people were not a fan (hint: it was not me!)




Then it was on to cheese and then a local and imported spice store. We tried the base that forms the gum we chew today. In ancient times it was used to clean teeth and freshen breath but by today's standard it was like chewing wax. One thing that shocked me was the price of saffron - it was dirt cheap! We decided with our tour guide that this was a potential business idea for us . . . hmmm. . . . Then off to the local market.

 

And logically the last stop was dessert! We ended up ordering it again later in the trip. This was a very decadent stop filled with lots of chocolate smothered Greek treats. 

Greek food is pretty darn tasty but I will admit that it does get repetitive after a week or two. I think I am still off feta :) But of course I took some photos of my meals along the way . . .



And lastly, the beer . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment