Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Back up north

So you would think that we would stay in Paris for a while but nah, that's for suckers. We spent one night there and then back on a train - destination Tressange. If you are a regular reader of my blog then you will note that I have been to this metropolis a few times before.


This time we sprinkled the visit with a little family, new friends and history (because we hadn't seen enough battle sites on this visit!). 

Family

History - in Metz





























And new friends!






Now I had been to the Verdun memorial before - I think it was 2002, definitely before I had a digital camera or smartphone so it's hard to remember. Since this time they have added a museum which is really well done. The battle of Verdun was fought from 21 February to 18 December 1916. It was one of the largest and longest battles of WWI on the Western front between the German and the French. A lot of lives were lost during this battle, some estimates put it at 70,000 per month. 






 


























The main memorial was just as I had remembered it but I don't think the weather was as nice when I was last there. 

 




















Our last stop was La tranchées des baïonnettes where on 11 June 1916 sadly some soldiers were buried alive.




The last day of my dad's visit, I was asked if I wanted to move to Berlin . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment