Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Bastille Day

The one day in between my dad leaving and my friend arriving from Canada was 14 July - La Fête Nationale or Bastille Day. Last year I had just returned from Hungary on this day so I did not get out to see any of the activities so this year I wanted to at least see the spectacular fireworks display. I had watched them on TV the previous year and they looked incredible - they lived up to the hype for sure!

We cruised around the city a bit before and went to check out the Champs de Mars - even in the afternoon it was already packed. Huge crowds these days in Paris are generally something to avoid so we decided dinner outside the Champs but were back in the vicinity in time to see the display.
Champs des Mars in late afternoon
Set up for the show


Fireworks time!



Apparently my phone has a postcard option - who knew!
























Of course en route back home we learned of the horror that had happened in Nice which left a black mark on an otherwise joyous day. While the attack was further away, the degrees of separation are getting closer. My colleague was on the beach having dinner right near the site that evening and another lost a friend . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment