Friday, February 10, 2017

A Chateau closer to home

The first weekend my friend was in town the weather was amazing. Paris had been slow to see summer but now it seemed to be in full swing! When people are in town I always like to propose something I have never done before so Chateau Vincennes it was.



The Chateau is nothing special relative to the ones I have posted in the past but it was the home of the French monarchy until Louis XIV decided to relocate to Versailles. It then served as a prison and a fortress. As a result it has a ditch around it, not a moat, where people got shot if they tried to enter. We decided that this could be a very effective security measure for where I work instead of barbwire and thorny bushes.  .  .but I digress!

























Given its assorted history, the place is a little weird to visit - you go from a prison cell, to a chapel to a latrine which are all the same style of room just one floor above one another. But apparently I took no pictures :(



We ended the day in a true Parisian style - a picnic in the Bois de Vincennes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment