Saturday, May 6, 2017

Weihnachtsmarkt Time!

While this past Christmas there was a tragic event that happened in Berlin at a Christmas market, I was lucky enough to already be home for the holidays. It is a bit surreal that this has happened yet again in a city I live in. All my colleagues and friends here were not at that Market when the event took place either. I am once again thankful that no one I know was affected.

Now . . .on to happier Christmas Market memories! 

I had heard about the Markets from numerous people but I really didn’t appreciate how important they were and how much of social activity they are until I spent a Christmas season in Germany.  They originated in the German speaking parts of Europe and can be traced back to the late 1300s. The only place I went out to in December was Christmas Markets! And there are over 60 of them in Berlin alone. Pretty much they involve eating and drinking lots of Glühwein (mulled wine).


The first one I went to was actually with my former officemate from Paris. She stopped by for a couple of days on her way to visit friends in Dresden. We hit the ones at Alexanderplatz and in front of the Rauthaus (city hall). I didn't take any pictures but I really should have because they had this awesome Santa in a sleigh that would travel along a guy-wire, stop half way say something and then sparks came out of the back of the sleigh as it continued. The best part is when he hits the end, they pull him backwards to the start - very enjoyable!

One of the nicer ones is the one at the Gendarmenmarkt which is a square in Berlin  which includes the Konzerthaus (concert hall) and the French and German Churches. In the centre of the square stands a monumental statue of Germany's renowned poet Friedrich Schiller.

You can tell we are pretty awesome at them!



Some of the Markets have themes, the one at the Kulturbrauerei was a Nordic theme so each of the glühweins were a little different. The location is an old brewery now turned into a bit of a cultural centre with a movie theatre, art galleries and random events like Christmas Markets!

   
The most awesome part though was when one of my oldest and bestest (I know this is not actually a word!) friends from Canada came to visit me for the weekend! Yes, she flew in on a Friday and left on Monday and no, she does not live in Europe! We basically spent the weekend Market hopping – and taking selfies which I am normally opposed to but made an exception for this weekend, or maybe it was the glühwein. . .



We picked some strays along the way . . .
We also made it to the Botanical Gardens for their special Christmas light display with my colleague and his family. It’s was pretty cool and I think worth the visit despite the price of admission. 

Of course we started with a selfie!







Walking around with a beer in hand - totally Berlin!


No comments:

Post a Comment