Thursday, May 4, 2017

Oktoberfest and Reunification

Contrary to popular belief, Oktoberfest is actually in September. While Munich is where it’s at, I’m pretty sure every city does a little something to celebrate 😆 Berlin definitely does! While on a stroll, I stumbled across this at Alexanderplatz, conveniently located near my home!





My first weekend in Berlin was conveniently a long weekend. October 3rd is German Unity Day. Germany was divided for almost half a century after the Second World War and on October 3rd 1990 that finally came to an end when east and west were officially reunified - the German Democratic Republic (communist part) joined the Federal Republic of Germany and the Berlin wall came down. More on this in future posts since I did tours since the fall. Each year this day is a public holiday with celebrations across the city. This was the scene at the Bradenburg Gate:

 


No comments:

Post a Comment