Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Off to Oslo

The week after the meetings, I decided on a Thursday night I needed to get out of town so booked a trip to Oslo for the weekend – left the very next day! You are probably thinking, why on earth is she going further north in the middle of January? I figured, a) I’m Canadian so I can handle it, b) the rest of Europe was not looking like beach weather anyways and c) inexpensive direct flight 😊


I had never been to Norway and I have to say, it’s lovely and I have never met nicer people in my life (sorry Canada)! Even though I booked last minute, I did manage to book a tour of the fjords before I left and sort out when the free walking tour was. All was on track until I got to the boat and due to ice, they cancelled the morning tour. 

Plan B, Viking museum





I have a Brazilian friend in Paris who loves Vikings, mostly I think because they were such a new concept for her. Of course I had to learn all about them in history class since they were some of the first visitors to Canada. It was still pretty cool seeing all the artifacts they have found in Norway over time. Everything in Europe is old in comparison to Canada but some of these objects were so rudimentary and unlike anything else I had seen - especially the ships themselves. It is insane to think they crossed an ocean in them!






This is the first one they excavated

No comments:

Post a Comment