Sunday, May 3, 2015

My first week in Paris

So I'm not much of a writer but since I'm not a Facebooker, I thought I would try my hand at a blog while I spend the next year living the Parisian life! Let's see how long I last at it . . .Of course, like everything else, I should have started this a week ago but better late than never as they say! 

My first few days were uneventful since as a new resident I didn't feel the need to get moving very quickly plus I'm staying on a 5th floor walk up so you don't want to make too many trips a day :) 

My biggest task for the week was finding an apartment and success!

Like House Hunters International it came down to three:

  1. Room with a view - it had the bedroom on the second floor and an amazing view of the Eiffel Tower but it was the most expensive and the appliances were old
  2. Posh and tiny - it was totally renovated but REALLY small - it had an amazing balcony all tiled and the size of mine at home. You could see the roof tops of Paris! But unfortunately the only bathroom was in the bedroom and she couldn't assure me the sofa would be a sofa bed (not all the furniture was in yet) so I had to so say no. 
  3. Character and cheap - it was huge by Paris standards and less than the other two! While the apartment is only a one bedroom the living space is separated in two by french doors so when people stay it will function as a separate bedroom - the room even has a door to the bathroom! It has a walk in closet at the front door with two shoe racks already in it!  The kitchen and bathroom are newly renovated. The bed and sofa bed are also brand new. All the things you want to be the first one to use are new so that made me feel great. It has a larger fridge, a real oven (many apts have a microwave/oven only), a dishwasher! and a washer/dryer in one and it's in the bathroom instead of the kitchen. It has a tiny balcony but big enough for a small table and two chairs s.The building is nothing impressive and the elevator only goes to the half floor so you always have to go either up or down one flight of stairs.
I'm sure you can tell which one I picked, character and cheap! I'll post pics once I move in a couple of weeks.

The rest of the week was dedicated to walking around, museums and chateaus which I will bore you with in separate postings.



3 comments:

  1. Sounds roomy! Ali and i will be right over with all the kids! Michel

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete