Sunday, May 3, 2015

First week and four new museums!

I always make it a point when I am in Paris to do something I have never done before. While the Louvre and d'Orsay are nice, I had to check out new museums so I took my week off and hit the following (bear with me and the layout, this is a work in progress!):

Musée de Montmartre



While I've been to Montmartre a zillion times, I had never been in the museum which is quite enjoyable and was home to several painters. The gardens also served as inspiration to Renoir.



La balançoire was painted by Renoir in 1876. The gardens also have the only vineyard found in Paris.



The museums collection is mostly dedicated to the history of Montmartre, like the Chat Noir and the Lapin Agile.



Musée Mormottan Monet

This smaller museum is five minutes from my office! It houses worth seeing Monet paintings that his youngest son donated to the museum following his death. The permanent collection is a mix of furniture and french paintings including Gauguin and Manet. The temporary exhibit on "la toilette' I could have left but still recommend the museum.

Musée Galliera

I have been trying for years to go to this museum but it was under renovation and is only open when there is an exhibition. Right now it is Jeanne Lanvin so the majority of the clothes were from the 20s and 30s.

And last but not least,

Musée Rodin

I think I would have appreciated this museum more if the weather had been nicer and my boots didn't get all muddy. All the sculptures you go there to see are outside. The main building of the museum is closed for renovations at the moment so I'm glad it was the first Sunday of the month and I got in for free! Here are some of the highlights:


The Thinker
Victor Hugo

The Burghers of Calais
And finally The Gates of Hell which was my favourite piece in the museum. It includes the Thinker and the Three Shades.




1 comment:

  1. Bonus points: What varietal is grown on Montmartre? My understanding is that the entire year's harvest is consumed at one big Parisen party. Try and snag an invite!

    ReplyDelete