Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Off to London!

My parents took a tour of the UK after leaving Berlin so I headed to London to meet them before they flew home. I have visited many times but it had been 7 years since I was last there. It was great to visit again and I took the time to see a couple of things I had never done before – the Tate Modern and Churchill’s War Rooms.



I am not generally a fan of modern and contemporary art but lately I find myself more and more in these types of museums. The Tate Modern is extremely well done with lots of interesting pieces and exhibits on display – in addition, the general collection is free!


I took a few shots of some of the pieces I found interesting.





























And for my Ottawa peeps, look familiar?


I also strolled along the Millennium Bridge for the first time.



I am glad I waited to do the war rooms until now because I was able to compare the bunkers I had seen in Berlin which were much simpler and stark to the underground offices Churchill had set up. Part of the difference though lie in the fact that the operation centres of the Germany army were destroyed for obvious reasons so the bunkers you visit are more of a bomb shelter. 


Main situation room





Major Desmond Morton, PM's Military Adviser

Churchill's dining room


Churchill's bedroom

The War Rooms also include a museum with artifacts from Churchill's life. It was also well done and quite extensive. As everything is behind glass, the picture didn't turn out great but here a few to get a sense.



Churchill didn't like noise so he made everyone use silent typewriters 




Since I have so many pictures of London already, I didn’t take a whole lot of the usual sites but I had to take a few of Trafalgar as Canada House was already decked out for our 150th!


And the cross walk lights rival Berlin!



Of course a trip to London would not be complete without a trip to the pub and theater!




No comments:

Post a Comment