Sunday, February 28, 2016

Milan Milan Milan!

I landed in Paris Friday evening from Mexico and then got up at 4am to head to Milan for the weekend. . .because that's what normal people do right?! My friend got us free tickets to see Inter Milan so I couldn't pass up the opportunity. We chose an AirBnB which was not one of the better ones I've been in. There were issues with the heat and hot water and some aversion to toilet seats I can't quite figure out!

I missed the viewing of the Last Supper painting but I did manage to see the other sites they went to. Like most of my posts, I am going to divide this one up into several so they don't get too long.

First up, Castello Sforzesco


The original construction was ordered by a Visconti in the mid-1300s but later destroyed. It was then rebuilt by the Duke of Milan, Francesco Sforza, in the 15th century. Like all good castles it was occupied several times including by the French, Spanish, Austrians, Napoleon and then the Austrians again. After the unification of Italy in the 19th century, the castle was transferred from military use to the city of Milan. Today the castle is filled with museums including works by Michelangelo and Da Vinci. 
















And then off to the centre square . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment