Saturday, October 17, 2015

Nuit Blanche

For those not familiar with the concept, Nuit Blanche is an all night art festival. Installations are set up across the city and, in theory, are open all night. I say in theory because we hit a few that closed around midnight - they totally didn't get the memo! 


So on October 3rd, I headed out with a couple of others (and a bazillion other Parisians) to see how much art we could take in and how late we could stay up! The theme this year was climate change as part of the lead up to the COP 21. This translated into lots of ice, mostly because it melts. And not going to lie, there were a number of things we saw, I didn't get.

Some of the ice
The ice close up

There were a number of video installations. We saw cute short films on family and one at the National Archives that was shots of Fukushima. 

National Archives

There were also a number of exhibits in or outside churches. This first one was a bit haunting. It was mirrors with images of kids behind them that represented those that were deported during the war. They looked that they were there, and not.


This singer was supported by changing colourful lights.




This is one of the ones I didn't get. The light projected the words and numbers and they kept adding smoke to see the rays.

St. Paul Church

This one was supposed to include dancers but it was one of the ones that didn't get the memo. 

And this one, I really didn't get. It was a large slab with gradations in it which were covered in cheese that people were invited to eat. After watching a bunch of people shove their hands in it, I did not sample the cheese!

Jardin des Rosiers
And it wouldn't be a night out without, a beverage!


Despite my confusion throughout the evening, I'm glad I went. And for those that want to know, I made it to 2am!

3 comments:

  1. Haha...I first thought those were gigantic Lego blocks at first, it would have been a lot cooler :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, the nuit blanche there is definitely way cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah, the nuit blanche there is definitely way cooler!

    ReplyDelete