Sunday, January 31, 2016

Dinner in Pordenone

Pordenone is the biggest city near where my family lives. I've been there many times but never during the holidays and never really for anything other than shopping. 

In preparing this post I learnt that Pordenone was created in the High Middle Ages as a river port on the Noncello, with the name Portus Naonis - meaning literally  'port on the Noncello River. In the 1200s it was handed over the Hapsburg family and then it was acquired by the Republic of Venice in 1514.  After the Napoleonic period, Pordenone was included in the Austrian possessions in Italy and then annexed to Italy in 1866.

Ok, enough of that - we went to eat and drink! Again, the town was all decked out for the holidays.


Town centre



The pre-dinner cocktail - why we sat outside I have no idea!

A restaurant dedicated to prosciutto, um hell yes!

And then we headed to nearby Cordenons, to stand out int he freezing cold to drink more. Apparently, Christmas markets are where people go in the evenings to hang out. Even though I'm Canadian, I was the coldest person there!

Sadly this is the only photo I have of the market



No comments:

Post a Comment